Our natural, yet systematic, story based approach to spelling happily complements any favourite spelling programme or works well as a stand-alone method. In this engaging story Jamie and Jane are in charge of the games at Baby Jake’s first birthday party. Children will love reading about the party and have fun learning to spell at the same time.
In this resource:
- Engaging 22 page phonics picture book story to help students develop phonemic awareness
- 103 Long A spelling words to learn 9 different ways the Long A sound can be spelled: ‘a’, ai’, ‘ay’, ‘a_e’, ‘ea’, ‘ei’, ‘eigh’, ‘e_e’ and ‘ey’.
- Long A graphemes printed in green, (or grey if printing in BW) to scaffold and support decoding
- PDF format to print as booklet or single pages, or view on any screen in single or double page format to suit
- word family list
- tricky words
- reading comprehension
- grapheme chart,
- story on one page
- coloring page
- spelling activity ideas
- cross curricula story based learning activities
Note: 2 versions are included to accommodate differences in US and UK/Australian spelling. The following different spellings occur in the story and accompanying activity pages.
US/UK: neighbors/neighbours, favorite/favourite, labeling/labelling, coloring/colouring
More About Clever Speller, Story Based Learning
Breathe life into spelling with this unique story based approach that makes learning to spell easy and fun. Beautifully illustrated phonics picture books are full of words that highlight the many different ways a focus sound can be spelled, making the journey from hearing sounds in words, to knowing all the ways to spell them, clear and easy to understand.
Clever Speller is different. No other spelling resource features full length picture books with all the ways to spell a focus sound in the same story. Whole language and phonics work together, to present a perfect mix of old and new that will gain, and keep, student’s attention.
Clever Speller applies the rigour of phonics, in the context of whole language, to make sense of crazy English spelling and bring it to life. Traditional picture book style stories showing all the ways to spell a focus sound enable a seamless progression from phonemic awareness to phonics knowledge. Colourful characters and interesting adventures engage and enthral students so that learning to spell, and read, is an enjoyable experience for all.
- Develop phonemic awareness
- Provide context for phonics to make sense
- Provide rigour for whole language to be effective
- Easily learn grapheme phoneme correspondence
- Enhance retention and recall
- Save time with planning
- Cater for different learning styles
- Differentiate for learning variability
- Complement any spelling methodology
- Bridge the gap between leveled readers and authentic texts
- Engage students with connected and meaningful activities
- Integrate reading and spelling lessons
- Decodable sound phonics picture books for the short and long vowel sounds
- 1 book for each short and long vowel sound
- 73 ways to spell 10 long and short vowel sounds
- Over 1000 focus sound spelling words
- Graphemes printed in different color for easy decoding
- Grapheme charts and word family lists
- Spelling and integrated cross curricular activities
- Literal and inferential reading comprehension
- Homophones, homonyms and homographs
- High frequency/sight words grouped by focus sounds
- Printable activities and resources